By Chris McKeown
There is no secret to losing weight and having a good diet. It’s all about eating a good quality well balanced meals at the right time.
For weight loss we want to make it simple. To start with we want to look at basing all our meals around protein, vegetables and use pulses and whole grains to bulk out the meal to keep you full for longer. We also want smaller meals more often throughout the day. As this keeps your blood sugar and insulin levels in balance and prevents you craving these snack foods like biscuits and crisps.
Foods we really want to stay away from are simple carbohydrates and processed foods. These are the foods that your body converts and stores as fat very easily.
We also want to have a good meal 1 to 2 hours before your workout then again within 20 minutes post workout. If you cannot eat within this time I recommend a quality protein shake to help your body start recovering.
Below are a few ideas of good foods and also foods that you should try and cut down on.
THE GOOD STUFF
- Poultry (chicken, turkey)
- Oily or White Fish (mackerel, salmon, tuna, cod, haddock)
- Red Meat (small amount of lean meat)
- Eggs (scrambled, poached, boiled)
- Soya or tofu
Vegetables: You want to eat plenty of vegetables of all different types and colours as they all contain different vitamins, minerals and fibre.
- Sweet potato
- Asparagus * Squash * Watercress * Parsnip
Grains and Pulses: Key point here is that you want to be eating whole grains
- Barley * Pulses (kidney beans, green beans, chickpeas, cannellini beans) * Oats * Buckwheat * Millet * Rye * Wholegrain rice * Wholegrain bread and pasta (eaten in small amounts)
It is good to have a small amount of fat in your diet
- Fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, herrings)
- Coconut oil (cooking in)
- Olive oil, Some nuts and seeds (almonds, pumpkin, seeds, walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds)
BREAKFAST IDEAS * 2 eggs with spinach, avocado and wholegrain toast * Porridge with banana honey and cinnamon * Natural yogurt with berries * Oat cake with cottage cheese
SNACK IDEAS * A piece of fruit * Handful of nuts & seeds
LUNCH/DINNER IDEAS / pre and post workout ideas * Chicken with brown rice, sweet potato, kale and tomato * Salmon with lentils, sweet potato and broccoli
THE BAD STUFF
* Fried food * Fast food * Sugary snacks * Processed foods * Refined carbs * Biscuits, crisps, chocolate * Pop drinks * Juice * Sandwiches
These are just ideas. Mix and match the foods from the above lists to your taste. Food you enjoy is food you will stick to. AWAYS BASE YOUR MEAL AROUND PROTEIN AND VEG.
If you struggle to make your lunches there are always great options around your work there is no excuse for just picking up a sandwich from Pret A Manger. You all put in so much effort into training don’t waste it buy eating crap food just because it is easy.
Easy ideas near MoreFit Personal Training Studio in St Paul’s:
- Hummus Bros. It doesn’t get much easier than that. It right above us and serves great and healthy food.
- Porterford Butchers on Watling Street. Top quality chicken and meat cooked an ready to go after a tough training session there is a better meal then a chicken breast from them and a chunky salad from M&S.
For more food options near you talk to your trainer they will have many great ideas to make your life easy.
Enjoy Simple Eating!
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]https://www.morefit.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Chris-McKeown-MoreFit-Personal-Trainer.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]Chris is a Personal Trainer at MoreFit St Paul’s and has worked with people from many different backgrounds, all with their own goals and abilities. He is passionate about exercise and physical activity and truly believes that we are happier when we are healthier. Throughout my life I have taken part in a variety or sports from rugby and rowing to my true passion of adventure races and running, were I have competed in events from coast 2 coast races to ultra marathons. I use this passion for health and fitness to inspire and motivate my clients to reach and surpass any goals they have and live a happier, healthier and MOREFIT LIFE.[/author_info] [/author]